Beira Mar Wine Cellars
Some of the oldest private wine cellars storing wine from the Colares denominated region were located in the village of Azenhas do Mar. We are familiar with those owned by Luís Augusto and Manuel José Collares, who have been producing and marketing this wine since 1848.
In 1899 João, António and Hermegildo Bernardino da Silva who became known locally as the Chitas family, acquired some of these cellars and established a company called Collares Chitas.
In about 1900, António Bernardino da Silva Chitas set up the Beira Mar cellars which markets Colares wine to this day and is the only one to export it internationally.
Colares Regional Wine Cellars
Colares wine boasts an incomparable history from the birth of the nation through the writings of various figures such as Eça de Queiroz and Lord Byron. Vines which are planted in sandy soils and maritime climates must be handled with great care and must be cultivated in small-scale vineyards which are worked manually. As well as being produced under very special microclimatic conditions, these vines come from native grape varieties such as Ramisco (red) and Malvasia de Colares (white) and are highly appreciated by some of the most respected names in international oenology. As a result of the combination of human and viticulturist factors, each bottle constitutes a very special heritage and is a veritable collector's item.
Viúva Gomes Wine Cellars
Located in the village of Almoçageme, this is one of the oldest cellars producing Colares wine.
Viúva Gomes & Filhos- which was awarded the first prize at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition in 1915 was the main supplier of wine for the soldiers who fought on the French front during World War One.
In 1989 the company was taken over by Jacinto Lopes Baeta & Filhos who implemented a new marketing strategy for the wine.
The cellar currently has a storage capacity of 105,000 litres.
Casal Santa Maria
The origin of this Estate goes as far back as the beginning of the 18thcentury. The main house was built in 1720 and remarkably survived the 1755 earthquake because of the Serra de Sintra (hill) underground granite structure.
Wine production was interrupted in 1903, but 100 years later, Mr.Baron Bruemmer after his 97th anniversary brought “the most western vineyards in Europe” back to life and modernized “the boutique” winery.